Preparing the skin prior to in-clinic skin treatments is all about safety, downtime as well as getting the best results out of the treatment that you have been recommended for your concerns. ‘Skin Prep’ is how we (and you) prepare your skin prior to treatment. This includes adhering to a topical skin care routine at home with active ingredients for 2 -4 weeks prior to treatment, as well as following a few rules.
Treatments that target skin remodelling – think anti ageing, scar revision and resurfacing treatments, cause controlled wounds to trigger a skin response. All skins behave differently, so skin prep keeps us safe. Of course, not all treatments require prepping, but for those that do – here are our top tips.
Skin Prep – The Things You Need to Know
The benefits of skin prep include:
- Safety!! Reducing the risk of adverse reactions – this includes Post Inflammatory Hyperpigmentation (PIH)
- Faster healing of the skin
- Enhanced results
Laser, Chemical Peels and Needling Treatments Preparation ‘Rules’
As well as skin prep there are a few non negotiables that we need for you to adhere to (these are the ‘rules) prior to any laser, chemical peels and needling treatments.
- Sun Compliance. This includes the use of a broad spectrum SPF and hat when you’re out and about
- Refraining from the use of fake tanners including gradual tanners and tan drops
- Dermal Fillers and Anti-Wrinkle Injectables – we ask that you wait 2 weeks after any dermal fillers to allow them to settle and one weel for anti wrinkle. Check with your clinician as there may be some treatments that require longer
- Stop the use of retinoic acid (prescription retinol/vitamin A) 5 days prior to treatment
Our Top Products for Skin Prep
Vitamin A ensures that your skin cells are functioning at full speed, turning over skin cells and repairing the skin. Our pick – Aspect Dr Exfol A.
AHAs and BHAs have a few functions – exfoliation as well preparing the skin for ingredients at higher percentages that we use within the clinic. This means that your skin is ready and will recover faster. Our Pick – Cosmedix Define.
What Inhibitors we hear you say!!! Tyrosinase is an enzyme that controls the production of melanin. This means if you have a darker skin type or are prone to pigmentation, we recommend you are using one of these products 2 -4 weeks BEFORE treatment.
Our Pick – Dermaceutic Mela Cream.
Send an ‘SOS’ – We’re here To Provide Expert Help
At Skin Clinic Blyss, we place education and safety at the forefront of our service. If you’re thinking about starting your skin journey and not sure how to start, send an SOS and book your skin consultation, our team would love to help!
Book a Skin Consultation today online today with one of our experienced clinicians. You can always chat with our team on (02) 9664 8011.